The Batticaloa Fort, known as Dutch Fort, is located at Puliyanthivu in the town of Batticaloa. The Batticaloa Fort is known to be built by the Portuguese in 1628 and was captured by the Dutch in 1638. From 1745, the fort is known to be used by the British rulers. It is known to be built with Granite Stones and coral. This is now the district secretariat of Batticaloa, and there is a small museum to enlighten visitors on the history. There are more historical ruins. Around one third of the fort is surrounded by Batticaloa lagoon in a side and the other two sides are surrounded by canals that are known to be used as a protective mechanism hosting crocodiles. The fort still remains in a considerable situation giving space for several government departments including the District secretariat of Batticaloa.