The Batticaloa lagoon was obstructive to the traveling towards the southern part of Batticaloa in the ancient Batticaloa. People used small boats to cross over the lagoon to travel the south part of Batticaloa by paying one cent for boat fare during the early days. Later, one Mr.Maniyathar, the boat owner, used an engine boat to transport people and other commodities. In 1924 the construction work was started for a bridge, and it was completed in 1928. It was ceremonially inaugurated by the then governor of Sri Lanka Hon. Sir Manning and his wife Lady Manning. The bridge's lifetime was 1928-1985 as anticipated by the construction engineers, but the bridge was in use up to 2013. A new bridge along the old one was built by the government of Sri Lanka and was ceremonially opened by the then president Hon. Mahinda Rajapaksha on 13th March 2013.